Update: You can now avail our free patent application generator. It will automatically prepare all documents required to file a patent application by yourself. 100% free. Enjoy.
Steps to write a patent application by yourself:
1. Prepare a disclosure about how to implement your invention. You can use our free patent application generator. It will automatically ensure you follow all patent laws and will automatically generate all paperwork according to the rules and regulations.
2. Follow the system provided prompts. There’s a minimum word limit for your own benefit. Provide drawings and flow charts and explain those figures in your disclosure, be thorough and provide as much detail as possible. As a general rule, a picture is worth a thousand words. PROVIDE NUMEROUS FIGURES. This is important because if you are self-filing your provisional application and made a mistake within the written portion of the disclosure, your attorney may be able to rectify the error (using your numerous figures) during the non-provisional filing. Note: one should never attempt to file the non-provisional application without an attorney. Thus, providing figures with multiple variations of the invention might be helpful.
3. If appropriate, your drawings and flow charts should also explain the process of how to make and use the invention. Remember, your goal is to describe how the invention works, not how the end result appears to the user. And an invention does not magically perform the tasks.
4. Explain things as if you were trying to teach your invention to someone who has no knowledge about any underlying concepts of the invention. Note: while the law only requires the application to be written in as much detail so that a person of ordinary skill in the art may replicate your invention, we have generally noticed inventors tend to miss key portions of the underlying concept. Erring to the side of caution, you are better off explaining concepts in detail even if you may otherwise consider it as “obvious” to understand your invention.
5. Our automatic patent application generator provides you detailed instructions on how to do the filing by yourself. So what’s the catch? There is none. Enjoy the free system!
Originally published at https://www.clfip.com on December 18, 2017.